The Spring 2021 National Postage Stamp & Coin Show hosted by Trajan Media, the publisher of CSN and Canadian Coin News, has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
Held each spring and fall, the two-day show in Mississauga, Ont., typically includes a 50-dealer combined stamp and coin bourse, a two-session “Premier Auction,” several seminars plus thousands of collectors coming through the door throughout the weekend. This spring marks the third time Trajan’s “National Show” has been cancelled because of the pandemic, which began about a month before last year’s spring show was slated to begin.
“Current conditions, and short-term forecasts, make it impossible for the show to proceed in a healthy and safe environment for all,” said Trajan managing partner Mike Walsh on Feb. 2. “We are hopeful with the vaccinations’ rollout to the general public later this spring to proceed with our fall show on Sept. 11-12.”
While Trajan’s April 10-11 National Show is cancelled, the Premier Auction will still be held by Kitchener, Ont.’s Colonial Acres. The firm will host the live sale online via iCollector on April 9-10. Live bidding will begin both days at 5:30 p.m. (ET). In addition to bidding through iCollector, bidders can enter bids via email or telephone. Beginning on March 19, lot viewing also will be available from Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
SHOW CANCELLATIONS CONTINUE…
The show is the latest of a series of coin and stamp show cancellations stretching back to March 2020.
As the pandemic continues to progress, stamp shows have been cancelled into summer as organizers watch the vaccine rollout in this country and abroad.
Recent stamp show cancellations include:
- the Mississauga Coin & Stamp Show in Mississauga, Ont., on March 7;
- Winpex in Windsor, Ont., on March 13;
- the Edmonton Spring National in Edmonton, Alta., on March 27-28;
- Kapex in Peterborough, Ont., on April 17;
- Orapex in Ottawa on May 2-3;
- the in-person Postal History Society of Canada (PHSC) Symposium in Hamilton, Ont., on July 16-18; and
- the in-person Royal Philatelic Society of Canada (RPSC) Convention in Peterborough on June 25-27.
Four of those events – the Edmonton Spring National, Orapex, the PHSC Symposium and Royal Convention – were also slated to feature national-level philatelic exhibitions.
As of mid-February, the only remaining 2021 national-level philatelic exhibition is October’s Canpex in London, Ont.
All five of Canada’s 2020 national-level philatelic exhibitions were also cancelled due to COVID-19.
On the numismatic side, recent coin show cancellations include:
- Torex on Feb. 27-28;
- the Edmonton Coin Show & Sale on March 13-14;
- the Cambridge Coin Show on March 13;
- the Ontario Numismatic Association Convention on April 9-11;
- the Guelph Coin Show on April 24; and
- the Toronto Coin Expo on April 30-May 1.
The next National Postage Stamp & Coin Show is scheduled for Sept. 11-12.